11.07.2012

COSplay


Amalgamation

I am almost done as a Peace Corps volunteer.  It’s been two years, and the end seems to be hurtling towards me faster and faster every time I look at it.  As of this writing, I leave Nicaragua in thirteen days.

In Peace Corps jargon (that’s the other language I’ve picked up during service apart from Spanish), this period in the life of a volunteer is called COS, or Close Of Service.  It’s when you have to finish your projects, fill out a hundred reports, say goodbye to your friends, get rid of your possessions, and worry about your future.

I often give myself the chuckles when I think about the term “COS” because in my head I call it “cosplay.”  If you’re unaware of what that is, please wiki-educate yourself now.  I get the chortles because calling it “cosplay” gives me an amusing vision of me and my fellow volunteers dressing up and acting like normal Americans.

COS is stressful.  And when my stress levels go up, apparently so does the frequency of my compulsive doodling.  I made the following drawings during the month of October while trying to get myself ready to leave Nicaragua and reenter that strange country called Gringolandia.  This is a cathartic residue; these are stress-induced compulsions.  Enjoy!



Fractals

Square-Triangle-Circle

The Limits of Geometry

Symbol

The Point

Velocity

Nascent

Perp

Morphometry

COSplay

2 comments: