11.28.2011

Learning The Language, A Chrestomathy* (Vol. 4)


Remember: this is a continuing series...if you haven't read volumes 1-3, I recommend doing that because
there is a developing argument and I refer to things I've said previously...enjoy!

So to be clear, I want to say that normalization is a process during which our feelings (or unarticulated meaning) become conditioned by sustained use of words to come to us already habituated to the form (that is, the specific meaning) of those words, and that this conditioning gives rise to thoughts (or articulated meaning yet unexpressed).

Normalization is what happens as babies acquire language for the first time, and similarly, as we learn a second language. For a baby, this process deals directly with raw feelings, in the normalization of feelings and words, and therefore is a deep and fundamental kind of learning that informs nascent modes of thinking itself.

The difference in learning a second language however, is that we are basing the acquisition of our new words (in this case the Spanish ones) on our understanding and competence with our old words (the English). Our feelings and words have already been normalized, our modes of thinking established, and now we are attempting to substitute our old words for new ones.

This kind of learning is not as deep and fundamental as with that of the baby—instead, this kind of learning seems to be lateral, almost shallow. Learning another language could be just swapping out old words for new ones without considering making amendments or adaptations to the underlying meaning. But I don’t think it necessarily has to be like that.

Here we begin to butt up against the role that culture has in this discussion of language and meaning. What I mean is, in order to truly understand a language, one has to be sensitive to the meaning and significance of words within their cultural context. For example,  I could know the literal Spanish translations of every English word in the dictionary, but I would still sound like a bumbling gringo idiot in a Spanish conversation without certain knowledge of cultural norms, speech patterns, phrases, idioms, inflection, and pacing.

So an important part of learning a second language is learning a second culture as well—in addition to the lateral movement of word substitution that exists on the surface, one must also take care to really understand the meaning and significance of new words within the second language. This contextual learning comes from an understanding of culture; that is, from an understanding of the attitudes and behavioral characteristics of a given social group.

~
I view my learning of Spanish in Nicaragua almost as the birth of my “Spanish-speaking self.” I have tried to think of my burgeoning language abilities as mirroring the same kind of development a Nicaraguan baby goes through as it picks up language for the first time. Sure, I base a lot of my learning on what I’ve learned as an English-speaker, to ignore all of that would be insane, but for many things, especially aspects of social life and custom, speech patterns and inflections, I try to forgo my American cultural inclinations and search for a new Nicaraguan base understanding.

In this way I’m striving to realize a process of normalization analogue to the deep normalization that establishes fundamental modes of thinking in babies. I don’t want to think that I’m replacing the modes of thinking I learned as a baby developing in America, but rather that I’m expanding those modes of thinking, giving them more dimension with the addition of new cultural and linguistic norms along with the new words themselves.

So, if in the future I happen to travel to another Spanish-speaking country or have the opportunity to converse with non-Nicaraguan Spanish speakers, I assume that it will be glaringly obvious to them that I learned Spanish in Nicaragua. I will have a Nicaraguan accent, speaking cadence, diction, etc because in effect, my Spanish-speaking self was born in Nicaragua. I am interested to see if it will be possible to adopt different Spanish accents in the future. Will speaking in an Argentine accent for example, always feel affected in the same way that speaking English with a British accent feels affected?



3 comments:

  1. As to the last point, I grew up learning both English and Spanish at the same time. Once I moved to the US at age 12, and Spanish stopped being a regular part of my life, I began to lose the ease, comfort, and, most importantly, the culture associated with speaking.
    When I studied for a year in Chile, I felt I began to acquire the Chilean accent, but there was still something there that didn't make it completely Chilean.
    When I visited Spain for some months, I picked up the accent quickly, sometimes to the point where I felt like I was consciously exaggerating my Spanish accent. But everyone always kind of could hear something strange in the way I spoke. Not exactly an American accent, not exactly a Chilean accent. Just something off.
    Here in Nicaragua, I think my Spanish most closely resembles that of a Nicaraguan, but it's not Nicaraguan.
    My conclusion: I am forever condemned to sound strange wherever I go. To never go somewhere where people feel that I am part of their culture. It's kind of nice.
    But in my case, I pick up the basics of an accent quickly, enough to feel comfortable hanging out with young people and speaking the way they do. It doesn't feel weird, it comes naturally (and maybe sometimes I make an effort to sound like them to fit in, but I'm just barely aware of doing it, like most things we do in social interactions to fit in). The more I try to fit in, the more it sticks, the weirder I sound to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I learned my Spanish first from a Mexican, then stayed with a Spanish host family briefly, then studied abroad in Buenos Aires for five months. Most of my Spanish ability came from Argentina, so when I came back I was speaking with a thick B.A. accent and many of my Spanish classmates had trouble decoding what I was saying. I had to revert to a more standard accent and grammar to interact with people and now the B.A. accent sounds strange to me. I have definitely adopted the Nica accent, but I do feel like I can 'switch' much more quickly than before. I think (or maybe just hope) that by learning multiple accents/grammars/cultures, I become more adept and flexible at switching between them based on who or where I am speaking. What I guess my experience has been is that we normalize whatever we use a lot. An Argentinian accent feels perfectly normal when it's all you've heard or used for months, and the same for Nicaraguan Spanish. We're very flexible. It's like we have plastic brains, or something...

    ReplyDelete